When it comes to historic buildings, maintaining their integrity while keeping them clean can be a challenging task. At The Jet Co, we have a deep understanding and respect for Sydney’s historic buildings. From our experience in pressure washing historic structures, we share our top tips and our process to ensure a thorough clean without causing any damage to these delicate structures.
Thoroughly Assess the Building
Each historic building has its own story and structure. When assessing the building prior to pressure washing, you should look for any sensitive materials and vulnerable areas that could be damaged. These spots will require special care. This may include:
- Aged and cracked brick
- Cracked concrete
- Soft sandstone and limestone
- Old mortar joints
- Chipped or peeling paint
- Ornamental features like intricate carvings or plasterwork
Select The Right Tools and Techniques
Our years of experience have taught us that low-pressure equipment is crucial for minimising the risk of damage to these old structures. Selecting the right nozzles and techniques is equally important to ensure a gentle, yet effective, cleaning process.
Select The Right Cleaning Agents
We only use eco-friendly cleaning agents that protect delicate surfaces whilst still being powerful enough to provide a thorough clean. Before applying any product, we recommend you test it on a small, inconspicuous area to ensure it won’t cause any harm.
The Cleaning Process
When it comes to pressure washing historic buildings, a strategic and cautious approach is key to preserving their charm and integrity. Here’s a simple 5 step process that The Jet Co employs to ensure safe and effective cleaning:
1. Initial Assessment and Preparation: Conduct a thorough assessment of the building to identify sensitive areas. Cover and protect any delicate features that could be damaged from the pressure washer like delicate woodwork and light fixtures.
2. Select Equipment and Test: Choose a low-pressure washer and appropriate nozzle. Perform a test wash on a small, inconspicuous area to ensure no damage will occur.
3. Gentle Washing Technique: Using a top-down approach, gently wash the building in a sweeping motion. Pay special attention to vulnerable areas and use soft brushes for tough spots.
4. Thorough Rinsing and Inspection: Rinse the building evenly to remove all cleaning agents. Inspect the surfaces once done to ensure thorough cleaning and no damage.
5. Routine Maintenance: Set up a schedule for routine maintenance. This will allow for more regular, gentle cleanings to prevent the build-up of dirt and grime over time.
Get a Free, Instant Quote for Pressure Washing Today
At The Jet Co, we’re committed to preserving Sydney’s historic buildings through our specialised pressure washing services. We understand the delicate balance between cleanliness and conservation, ensuring each structure we touch retains its historical integrity. If you’re looking to rejuvenate the exterior your historic property, contact us today!
Call us on 02 9072 1991 or enquire online to get your free quote!